Friday, February 10, 2012

La Chandeleur

February 2nd was "La Chandeleur" also known as French Candlemas, Crêpe Day and Groundhog Day in the United States. To celebrate me and my host sister Sarah were invited to a friend's house for dinner. There, I had my first ever "crêpe salée" which is a crêpe eaten as a meal, I've had the opportunity to try a crêpe salée when I've gone to crêperies in the US, but when given the choice between a dessert and an entree I generally pick the dessert.


Dorian cooking the meat for our crêpes.


My first crêpe salée, inside there was hamburger and gruyère cheese.


Sarah and Dorian preparing their crêpes.


My second crêpe, which had chicken and more gruyère cheese.


One of the traditions for La Chandeleur is to put a coin in one hand and the pan in the other and try to successfully flip the crêpe, if the crêpe lands in the pan you are supposed to be prosperous during the year. I had learned this tradition in my French classes in the United States and after being invited to eat crêpes for La Chandeleur in France I was expecting my friends to do it, so before the first crêpe was flipped I asked if they had the coin. Neither of my friends had heard of this tradition but I insisted that each of us do it so I went and found a coin and explained what we were supposed to do. When Dorian's mom came in Dorian told her how I had them hold a coin when they flipped the crêpe, I was right about the tradition, Dorian's mom had done it when she was a kid and when we came back home my host parents confirmed that it was a real tradition.


I was successful! I also shared with my friends and host family what Americans do for the second of February; they wait and see if a groundhog sees his shadow. They found this tradition a little odd, which I completely understand, and one person even asked me if we eat groundhogs that day. After we had finished dinner we moved on to the dessert, more crêpes! I had one crêpe with powdered sugar and the other with jam, there was no Nutella, but besides that it was a wonderful night and above all yummy!