Wednesday, February 29, 2012

How to make macarons


For Christmas Dorian (a friend) had given me this macaron kit and we both figured I had waited long enough to try baking them. So, today after school, which ends at 12 on Wednesdays, Sarah and I went over to his house to make this delicate French treat.



Sarah pressing the raspberries for the ganache. We made all of the ganaches ahead of time because they need chill so you can spread them on the macarons later.


The batter for the raspberry macarons. In almost all recipes for macarons you need almond powder, powdered sugar, egg whites and sugar.


Then, once the batter is ready, you put it in a piping bag and make small circles. Macarons are really expensive the cheapest I've seen cost 0.80 € for one macaron, but I understand why, they're hard to make, time consuming, and almond powder is really expensive.


All ready to go in the oven!


As the raspberry macarons were baking we got started on the chocolate macarons.


Here I am making some chocolate macarons, it took a while to get the hang of it. The first ones I made didn't look as good as Dorian's.


Once the macarons had cooled we put them together with the ganache. Whenever there was a macaroon that "wasn't pretty" we would eat our mistake, I don't think we actually had that many mistakes but it was a good excuse to eat.


Tasting my first macaron!


Our raspberry macarons.


Our chocolate macarons.


Our lemon macarons. You can see that the ganache was still a bit runny, so of course we ate a lot of lemon macarons.


All three. It was a lot of work for so few macarons, but if you had tasted them you would have known it was worth all of the effort, they were amazing!