Friday, May 11, 2012

Cherry Picking

It's almost Summer, which means it's cherry time! Dorian's grandparents have lots of cherry trees in their backyard, so they invited us to help them pick as many red cherries as we could find. Since everyone at school (including me) is busy preparing for the BAC, an end of the year test that determines if you get a diploma or not, it's nice to be able to take a break once in a while and enjoy the incredibly hot weather. Lately it's been around 85 degrees and even reached 90 yesterday, which explains the sunburn I now have on my face. I guess the climte here is a little different than in Minnesota.


Busy picking



I learned you're supposed to pick the cherries with the stem, otherwise they'll go rotten much more quickly.


Not quite full!


These were hands down the best cherries I have ever tasted, but then again everything's better when it's freshly picked.


Tarzan cherry picker.


Dorian and Sarah have the technique down.


So what were we supposed to do with all of these cherries?


Make clafoutis of course! Clafoutis is a classic French dessert which comes from the Limousin region and although the original recipie states that it's better to leave in the pits because it can release more flavor, I spent about an hour removing pits so that it would be easier to eat.


The baked clafoutis I made with a cherry on top!